Monday 16 April 2012

Blog, blog, blog... A Topic Worthy of Thought

Blogger 101, a webinar by our professor, helped me to set up my blog. I am wondering if I could incorporate the use of blogging in the classes about writing that I teach. I can see how the online world would be something familiar to the students (which may interest and motivate them), but I wonder about some other issues. For example, all work is completed in class; there is no homework. Would the students be comfortable posting partial work or work in progress. I also wonder about the differences between norms surrounding blogging and norms surrounding academic writing at the university level. Would the students be overwhelmed by various writing conventions and norms if I used this platform? Could they maintain academic writing standards while blogging? Are there issues about intellectual property that I would need to consider? How would I provide feedback - publicly via the blog or privately?

As you might imagine, I am not the only one curious about this matter of using blogs for academic writing. It has become a topic of academic research as indicated by the text of the following links:
Academic Blogging, Academic Practice, and Academic Identity
Engaged Writers and Dynamic Disciplines

While searching for some answers to my questions about using blogs for academic writing, I did stumble upon some interesting information about the use of blogs for English language learners.  This information may prove useful in one of the courses I teach.  In the summer, I teach a four-week, English-for-Academic-Purposes course.
The Impact of Weblogs on the Affective States and Academic Writing of L2 Undergraduates
Blog Writing Integration for Academic Language Learning Purposes

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating...I can't wait to read your references Sherry!

    ReplyDelete