Thursday 3 May 2012

That's a Wrap (for Assignment #1)!

This week, the final two presentations for Assignment #1 were completed.  Once again, I was granted insight into topics I knew either nothing or little about.  Below are some highlights.

Presentation #5 - Social Skills & Autism
Although I have not had any student self-identify as having autism in my current job, I was happy to get some information.  (Yes, as some of you may recall from class conversations, I am not always aware of students' disabilities because the choice to disclose such information rests with the individual students.)  The information about autism may not be immediately helpful, but you never know when you are going to need some background information.  I thought the idea of meeting sensory needs before teaching skills seemed like practical advice (but not an idea of which I would have thought).
I particularly liked some of the apps, and I plan to investigate the use of some apps for my students.  I teach a four-week, English intensive program.  The students have spent the last two years in universities in their own countries.  When they arrive in Canada, they are asked to advance their English language skills and vocabulary for academic purposes.  As you might imagine, their academic success is not my only concern.  I want them to feel successful socially as well.  I would argue that surviving university is at least partially about figuring out how to balance various aspects of life (including academic and social lives).  Idioms can be particularly problematic for some of these students.  For that reason, I am going to look into Idiom in Use.  Some of these students also struggle with small talk (particularly with Canadians and Americans), and for that reason, I wonder if any or all of the Conversations apps may be useful for them to develop proficiency and confidence.  I would be interested to see if cultural differences in norms of conversation are addressed.
I was happy to see that some apps are available for PCs and Macs.  I am not sure whether any of the students in the four-week program arrive with iPads or iPod Touches, but I know many will buy mobile phones upon their arrival so I would think some may purchase iPhones.  Nonetheless, many/most of the students arrive with laptops; therefore, suggesting the use of apps (especially free or relatively cheap apps) seems feasible. 
In this presentation, I also loved the connection to the hidden curriculum. I recall discussing that concept during my B.Ed. classes.

Presentation #6 - New Apps for Students with LDs
The table presented to explain the various vocabulary terms for LDs could not have been any more perfectly depicted for me.  It was organized and simplistic in presentation.  Thank you!   I also loved the "how to" guide for accessibility options on iPads.  Not owning an iPad or iPod Touch, I thought this information was quite helpful.  It gave me knowledge to help my students who own mobile devices.
I found the Virtual Manipulatives app interesting.  I will recommend it to friends who are teachers of mathematics and to coworkers who are employed in the Centre for Accessible Learning.  I also liked Tools 4 Students and Idea Sketch because of the use of graphic organizers and the PDF Voice Reader for its use of presenting textual information in voice format.  I can imagine that PDF Voice Reader could help students who would prefer aural processing.

Further Learning
Please don't tell my family members, but sometimes I don't know everything.  After class I had to look up
1) Mimio board - A video clip from the retailer's website
2) exercise bed - A write-up and image from the retailer's website
3) The Incredible 5-Point Scale - A pdf from Texas Statewide Leadership for Autism
(Thank goodness for the Internet and Google.)

2 comments:

  1. Great post of the presentations. Very good summaries. I always find it interesting to get others perspectives on the presentations. Makes me think of some of my ideas and allows me to compare my thoughts.

    Great working with you on Assignment #1. You are a great leader.

    Thanks for the links on the right to others blogs.

    Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry,
    I have a Mimio Teach and do not know what I would do without it!! Also have Mimio capture camera, Mimio Vote (which the students LOVE!) and Mimio tablet. All great accessories for the Mimio Teach. If you do not have one, you need to ask for one!! I can send you some great links if you want. For example, Mimio connect has many already made lessons with the Mimio from grades P-12.

    ReplyDelete